Warbat is with not a doubt one of the staple sweets in the Middle East. Any sweets shop will be proudly displaying it among their finest. It is served warm and have a melt in your mouth feeling to it.
Warbat is made of crunchy layers of phyllo pastry filled with a creamy custard and baked until golden. Then Warbat is drenched in sweet sugar syrup which is sometimes flavored with rose water or orange blossom water. Finally Warbat is topped with crushed pistachios. It is a must try.
To know how to make Warbat bil eshta at home please watch this video:
- 1 & 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tbsp cornflour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 300 ml thickened or double cream
- 1 pack phyllo pastry
- 1 cup melted ghee “use as needed only”
- sugar syrup
- crushed pistachios for decoration
- Make sure that the phyllo pastry is kept at room temp. before use. Make sure to follow the pack’s instructions.
- Brushing each layer of the phyllo pastry with the melted ghee will help it crisp up and become golden once baked.
- Prepare the filling before hand so that it has enough time to cool completely before use.
- When adding the sugar syrup make sure it is at room temp. and the warbat is hot.